Re: Job Opps for British Writers

Subject: Re: Job Opps for British Writers
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:37:54 -0500

Mark Lewin wrote:

Hi

I'm a British technical writer and my wife and I are hoping to move
out to the States.

Good luck.

As most of the people on this list come from the US, I wondered what
you thought about the likelihood of an American company hiring a Brit
for a tech writing role.

Not likely at all.

I hear you're crying out for writers over
there, but are American companies desperate enough to look at
sponsoring someone from abroad?

Chances are slim to none. The number of visas of the necessary type (H1-B) has been cut back as a result of economic retrenchment in the US; and the few remaining are used for people with valued technical skills. In the US most companies do not value writers highly to begin with and consider them easy to hire locally.

However, you do stand a decent chance of finding a job with a UK company that will allow you to telecommute from the US. I think that would be a better avenue to investigate.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com