Help Finding "Report Covers" With Longer Spines!

Subject: Help Finding "Report Covers" With Longer Spines!
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:21:56 -0500

Quick Mini-Rant: How come capitalism can produce eighteen billion, nine hundred and seventy-five million, two hundred and sixty-three thousand, four hundred and thirty-six distinct products, and none of them meet the particular specifications of what I am looking for?

Or so it seems. I've been searching on the Web (I'll spare you the rant about how hard it is to find things on the Web, what with the six trillion Web sites), and I can't find what I need, at least not under all the "noise." Has someone seen this product?

I am looking for what are sometimes called "Report Covers", except they are not just covers, they have a front and back. I can describe the ones I currently have: Clear plastic front, a backing made of some material that feels something like cardboard with simulated grain, though it may actually be a kind of plastic. When you open it, the inner spine has lips, about an inch wide. The back lip has three metal-reinforced holes, while the front lip has three matching metal tabs. You can raise the tabs, stack three-hole punched paper on them, and then insert the tabs into the holes on the rear part of the spine. Flattening the remaining part of the tabs, you have now bound your three-hole punched paper between the clear plastic front cover and the solid back cover.

All well and good... except at the stores (Staples, Office Depot), the longest tabs I can find are 1/2 inch. I am looking for tabs that are at least 3/4 inch, or possibly one inch. The actual brand of the product I have is Oxford Deluxe Clear Front Report Covers (though again, they are really binders, not just covers), and the parent company is Esselte. A visit to their Web site does not reveal any means to order anything directly, nor does it indicate the details of their product line.

I am seeking the same product, or similar product from another company, but with the longer tabs (3/4 or one inch). Any leads (i.e., a specific Web page, or brand and specific product number) would be very much appreciated.

If anyone is still not clear, based on my description, about what the product looks like, please visit the following link for a photo:

http://www.oppenheimercommunications.com/ReportCovers.htm

(I must say, though, the Web is pretty cool, that I can just post a photo, and it's there for everyone to see with just a few minutes work!)

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com