Re: slow writer

Subject: Re: slow writer
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:52:40 +0000

Geneva Reynaga-Abiko, Psy.D. wrote:

Okay, I just can't help contributing to this post, as a clinical neuropsychologist...

Yes, it is true that Disorders of Written Expression exist (and in neuropsych, we capitalize names of disorders). However, these pertain to people who literally have difficulties expressing themselves. It does not have as much to do with speed as with actual ability. (It's mostly neurological, but I won't bore any of you with neuroanatomy.)

You have my permission to risk boring me with neuroanatomy :-)

When diotima originally posted, I thought that, if anything, it may be anxiety that is "getting in the way." However, we (i.e., neuropsychologists) don't consider anything a disorder unless it is negatively affecting one's life. If diotima is able to work successfully, which seems to be the case, I personally don't see the problem. Beyond matters of efficiency, all brains have their strengths and weaknesses, and that is okay. The idea that there is a standard (propogated mostly by media, not by anyone on this list) is simply not true. (Of course, if diotima is bothered by her/his slowness, that's an entirely different matter.)

Yes. Still, I fumble around with a rhetorical version of what you mean by 'being bothered' or 'negatively affecting one's life.' I understand that it is a subjective feeling--I am bothered by the person in the cubicle next to me who uses the speakerphone instead of the handset, and I am also bothered by the desire to unlock what I perceive as my thwarted potential for being a better tech writer.

I have a simple guideline that I use. I ask myself,

"Am I making a personal sacrifice to cope with this?"

But this leaves me open to getting into deep personal sacrifice (an example of deep personal sacrifice might be working nights and weekends just to keep up with workload) before I can finally say to myself "Want help, NEED help".

Am I asking for free therapy? Feel free to say: "It just depends." :-)

I can tell you one thing you might find helpful. Use your health insurance or invest a couple hunnert bucks to consult with a behavioral psychology practitioner. You meet with the Dr, talk about

And, by the way, a behavioral psychologist really wouldn't be the best person to go to for assessment/testing.

I agree, my first thought when my insurance company directed me to a behaviorist was, "BF Skinner's box?"

My recollection is that my health insurance specified payment only for consultation with behaviorists--the coverage was designed for people who wanted to quit smoking, I think. No slight to the clinician I met with though, I felt I was rewarded for my efforts.

They would be great, however, for techniques to overcome anxiety (or depression or...). They tend to work on exactly what was mentioned by diotima...reward! It's amazing how much we respond to a little bit of perceived reward (money, praise, etc.)

> Geneva Reynaga-Abiko, Psy.D.

Thank you!

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications