RE: ADDIE

Subject: RE: ADDIE
From: "Sonja Marnewick" <Sonjam -at- medemass -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:10:25 +0200

Kate wrote:

>Is anyone familiar with ADDIE--an approach to developing courses and
>training programs? Is there something more to it--other than what is
>described online and in my instructional design books (which pretty
much
>say the same thing as google results)? It seems so intuitively obvious
and
>defined at such an abstract level that I'm finding it hard to
understand
>why I'm seeing "must be familiar with the ADDIE process" in job
>descriptions lately.

HI Kate,

ISD (Instructional System Design) is often called SAT (System Approach
to Training) or ADDIE (Analysis, Design, Development, Implement,
Evaluate).
The ADDIE Model is used in defining and implementing training programs.

A Systems Approach to Training is a planned creation of a training
program.
It is a development program that uses step-by-step processes to solve
problems.
A large company may have several systems, which are generally broken
down into departments or groups, while a small company may only have one
system. All of these systems have three basic functions:

Input: Something must be going into the system, otherwise, it is a
mysterious sphere where products or services mystically radiate from it.
The basic inputs of a system are material, people, technology, and time.
Training is mostly concerned where people and technology meet.

Process: Some type of work must be accomplished in the system. This work
is the technology performed that changes the material input into the
systems output. Look for the means to help workers master and apply the
unique technology governing their tasks.

Output: A desired service or product must be produced. If there is no
output, then it is a black hole where things go in, but nothing emerges.
The goal in training is to allow the workers to use the available
technology efficiently and effectively to produce the desired product or
service.

Being able to break an organisation into systems and process will help
you in your training development. By identify a process within a system;
you will be able to concentrate on a small chunk of a very large piece.
For example, when you are analysing a job, you break it into duties,
tasks, and steps to make your task more manageable.

When some people see or hear the word system, they think of
mega-methodologies that require several bookcases and intense training
to use. A System Approach to Training is not that difficult or
complicated. The Instructional System Development (ISD) Model was
designed to solve training problems. Figure 2 shows the ISD model. It
was first established by the Department of Defence, but can now be found
in almost any type of organisation. It grew out of the "systems
analysis" concepts that became popular after World War II. It is
probably the most extensively used instructional design model in use
today.
ISD is concerned with the identification of training requirements based
on the analysis of job performance requirements data obtained from
experts in the job to be performed. Training objectives are formulated
as a result of the job analysis process and tests are developed to be
used to assess the learner's progress toward meeting the training
objectives. ISD or SAT also attempts to bring structure to the
instructional design process when determining the optimal instructional
strategies, instructional sequencing, and instructional delivery media
for the types of training objectives involved.
Although there are minor differences, most development systems follow an
approach similar to this:

Analyse the system in order to completely understand it, and then
describe the goals you wish to achieve in order to correct any
shortcomings or faults within the system.

Design a method or model to achieve your goals.

Develop the model into a product (in training, this product is called
courseware).

Implement the courseware.

Evaluate the courseware and audit-trail throughout the four phases and
in the field to ensure it is heading in the right direction and
achieving the desired results.

I have a 43 page Word document available if you would like to have a
look at it, detailing and explaining the above.

Regards,

Sonja Marnewick
Senior Training Officer
Med-e-Mass (Pty) Ltd
E-mail: sonjam -at- dhsolutions -dot- co -dot- za

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com