Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?

Subject: Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?
From: Suzy -dot- Davis -at- doi -dot- vic -dot- gov -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:17:49 +1100

Rebecca

Apart from the other great advice you've already received regarding styles
and templates, Peter's point below is the best way to start, but I would
skip the section breaks as well and recreate them in your new doc. Also be
suspicious of graphics that may be corrupted. Legacy documents are
notorious for having survived multiple crashes, and are therefore most
likely to be corrupted.

In summary:
1. Create a clean template with the styles you need. (Rename your Normal
template so that Word generates a new Normal template, and create your
template.)
2. Create a new document from your template, and copy your document over
section by section, and without the last paragraph mark.
3. Remove formatting and apply your styles (as described in other posts)
4. Create a new document from your template and copy your document over
without the last paragraph mark. (You now shouldn't have any of the legacy
styles left in your style list).

As a new user to Word you might find it useful to subscribe to the Word-PC
list:
mailto:word-pc-subscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to join
(no subject or command text required)

regards
Suzy

<neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
Sent by: To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
bounce-techwr-l-165345 -at- lists -dot- t cc:
echwr-l.com Subject: Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?

06/01/05 08:05 AM
Please respond to neilson

Rebecca Stevenson asks:
> I'm going to spending a lot of time in the near
> future working on legacy Word documents...

Sometimes if things are a real mess what you need to do is
to copy everything except document's final paragraph mark
and paste it into a new document. Then use your own
styles on the new document.

The reason is that Word stores all the nasty formatting
information inside that final paragraph mark. (Umm, I'm
assuming that you ALWAYS have Word set for
tools/options/view/formatting marks/all
so that you can see what Word is doing to you.)

Unfortunately Word has nothing like Wordperfect's reveal
codes. Even if you think you know what it's doing, you
may still be wrong!

--Peter Neilson
North Carolina

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments. Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error. If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com