Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?

Subject: Re: System for cleaning up legacy Word docs?
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:53:07 EST

To All,

Here is the approach that I have used in the past.

1. Word to Word
2. WordPerfect to Word

Here is the process summarized.

1. PRINT a copy of the original document
2. Open the document
3. VIEW the document in NORMAL mode
4. Click on TOOLS button on the toolbar
5. Click on OPTIONS button
6. Click on VIEW tab

At the bottom of this display is the capability to show the styles.

Do NOT check either of the boxes. If they are checked,
deselect them

Set the Style Width to 1 inch
for readability of the 'style' that is applied to
the 'paragraph'

7. The 'styles' associated with the 'paragraph' are displayed.

8. If you are working with a document that is not MS Word format,
you could probably work in that document to do the same.
I believe that the WordPerfect "REVEAL CODES" command
will give the same visibility.

Once this is done, you can start to work on the styles you want to apply.

Use the printout of the document as a 'scratch pad' where you can define the
'style' you want to apply to the document.

There are 'built-in' styles in Word that you can use/modify to meet your
needs.

Define your Heading Styles (I recommend 1-6 only). I used Heading 7 as the
Heading for Appendices, based on Heading 1 attributes.

You can switch to VIEW,OUTLINE to easily structure the document.

I believe that this approach will work.

If you find a lot of styles when you view the document, you can select the
entire document (CTRL,A) and apply STYLEL,NORMAL. Then you can apply the
styles as you wish.

I hope that this will help in your decision in how you want to proceed.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com