RE: Re: shyness - was Seeking counsel

Subject: RE: Re: shyness - was Seeking counsel
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:00:16 -0500

This seems like good advice. Also - fake it till you make it. Acting a bit more extroverted than you feel is a good step. And never take rebuffs because folks are busy personally, which shy people like me are very prone to do. Cheerfully keep on asking for the info you need to do your job-nothing's personal, and if it is, it's the other person's problem.

Eileen, who also doesn't always follow her own advice (but keeps trying)

Force yourself to talk to people that you don't know at all, when you're out and about.......at the grocery store, at the library, on airplanes, etc. Heck, you'll never see them again. Then work your way up to people that you know, but not very well.......people at the office that you don't deal with on an everyday basis, for example. That should put you on the right road.

I kind of tend to work under the (mistaken) assumption that, if somebody wanted me to be talking to them, they would have talked to me first already. But when you initiate contact with most folks, you'll find that that's not the case at all.

---Doug, 40 years old and still sometimes debilitatingly shy, and who mostly doesn't follow his own advice (but knows that it works)

Notice: All email and instant messages (including attachments) sent to
or from Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI) personnel may be retained,
monitored and/or reviewed by FTIand its agents, or authorized
law enforcement personnel, without further notice or consent.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com