Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:39:19 -0500

Downing, David wrote:

Okay, I think what I really meant to say is that I'm naturally
introverted, which means I'm not cut out for the sort of behavior
described in the original post. And I'm guessing that a lot of folks
who were drawn to technical writing were drawn to it BECAUSE they're
introverted -- or is that a stereotype?

That's not exactly a sterotype. I think what you're trying to say is that there a a significant correlation between being introverted and having the kinds of skills associated with tech writing.

In any case, it seems to me
that being introverted shouldn't be considered a liability. It's just a
way that some people are.

And here is where several of us have a different approach from yours. You may have been born with a shyness gene or been socialized as an infant in such a way that you became a shy kid. Fine. Nobody's holding that against you and a lot of us, myself included, were also shy as kids. The point we're trying to get across is that being shy does not work to your advantage in the corporate world. So you can sit there and be dysfunctional (from the point of view of the corporate culture), resulting in your being less effective than you might otherwise be. Or you can work to overcome your shyness.

There are lots of people you encounter every day who are introverts playing extraverts on tv. All it takes is an understanding that you can, in fact, do this, coupled with a willingness to try out some new behaviors (preferably in a safe environment, like a room full of strangers). It doesn't really matter, from the corporate perspective, whether you're a quiveringly shy person on the inside; what matters is how you _behave_ toward others. Simple as that.

Until you can organize the world's introverts to fight for equal rights (something that, on the face of it, would seem quite difficult to pull off), being introverted will remain a liability--in the corporate world--whether or not it _should_ be considered one.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com