Re: Documentation Tasks - survey & questions

Subject: Re: Documentation Tasks - survey & questions
From: "MARY ARROTTI" <mearro -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:41:41 -0500

I'm part of a two-person team. I produce the user docs (help systems & user guides). My coworker produces installation guides and release notes. We don't support all the documentation on the list. However, I am interested in how other doc groups distribute their time for their deliverables. Hence the list of possible deliverables. Sorry if this was confusing.

Let me start over with my original question. When relevant, how much time (%) does your documentation group spend on the following deliverables:

* User docs (help systems, user guides)
* Install guides or material
* Release Notes
* White papers
* Training docs (CBT, guides, etc.)
* QA test plans or product testing
* Marketing or sales literature
* Other output

Thanks!!!

From: <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <mearro -at- msn -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:51:07 -0500

Who's got control of your tech writing department? It
looks from the varied list you mention that anyone and
everyone can ask for a document and expect to get it,
without any sort of system of priorities or resource
management. A good tech writing manager can keep the
writers from being pushed around by conflicting demands.

--Peter Neilson
North Carolina

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com