RE: difficulties with the boss

Subject: RE: difficulties with the boss
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:15:14 -0500

I think you have two problems here (at least :) )

One is the unprofessional and hurtful conduct of your manager. For that, I think I'd go first to HR, in my (largish) organization, as a previous poster has said.

The second is that possibly your manager doesn't have much knowledge, experience or background in technical writing. I've had this problem a lot. If a manager has no real idea of a regular workflow for publications, or doesn't really know what needs to be accomplished in the editing process, a communications disconnect can occur. I've had the experience where every suggestion I've made, such as having a style guide, is a whole new concept to my manager. Knowledge of technical writing concepts can come across as being insubordinate, mouthy, etc. in this situation. While to me, my suggestions are just basic procedures that everyone in a professional writing department would do.

I don't know the solution to this, except try to educate very slowly and diplomatically.

I guess in your situation, you need to consider what you'd like the outcome to be, and then try to take calm action in that direction. Not easy.

Good luck,
Eileen Neumann
Toronto