Re: Job prospects in Canada, US, the planet?

Subject: Re: Job prospects in Canada, US, the planet?
From: keithwriter -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:56:07 -0700

Fairly crappy in South Florida. The biggest problem is stability - many
companies hire when there's a publication crunch, but then the TW's are
first in line for layoffs every time there's a stockmarket hiccup. The one
advantage newbies entering the profession might have is the willingness to
work cheap, something that writers who worked through the late 90's gold
rush may have a hard time doing.

Personally, I'm working on getting out of the biz. I want stability, and
am not inclined to work as a contractor. So while I look for TW jobs, I'm
also looking elsewhere. I don't dig the interchangeability that is
attributed to tech writing; I'd prefer a scenario where my individual
contribution is more highly valued. Oh, and I'd also like it if beer
didn't have calories.

Keith C.
will mudwrestle for food

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com