RE: Self publishing

Subject: RE: Self publishing
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:19:23 -0800

I wouldn't call Trafford and similar POD publishers "vanity" publishers....
POD is changing the publishing world and dismissing what they offer as
being in some special "vanity" category, ignores the service they provide
serious writers with highly marketable books.

The value of these services -- regardless of the competency of the writer --
depends on what you want done, what you can afford, what you would prefer to
do yourself and what you would prefer to have experts do for you. Marketing
your book is hard, time consuming work. When doing your marketing plan and
looking at ROI, consider how much reseach time, learning curve time,
production time and sweat equity you can reasonably contribute. A company
that provides one-stop shopping can usually demand a premium.

And just thinking about all this makes me want to call a full service
caterer for my next xmas party!

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

POD has valid uses, to be sure. It can be had at much lower prices than
what Trafford charges, however. Trafford and other vanity publishers are
charging for their value-added services, and I question whether their
services are as valuable as they want you to think....The same for any other
situation where the author is competent to manage the marketing end. So the
question comes down to short-run/POD
vs. lower-cost/longer-run/offset. And that decision has to be made case
by case.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com