Re: W2 to 1099 conversion

Subject: Re: W2 to 1099 conversion
From: Karen L. Zorn <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:46:40 -0500

Agreed, get yourself a *good* accountant, the price you pay is worth a lot more than the time, agravation, and anger you can spend with an IRS auditor. Going from a W-2 to a 1099 can send lags triggering an audit. The $$ I spend on the tax preparer (in AZ an EA, enrolled agent) and the bookkeeper to review my records are worth their weight in gold, and they are deductible expenses! Before I started doing business in AZ, he and I talked about my business, how it operates and other considerations. We decided that an S-Corp was the way for me to go. He pointed me to a couple law firms specializing in business incorporation.

The time and $$ you spend up front will greatly reduce or eliminate the aggraviation your could receive later!

I've been using QuickBooks for the past 6-8 years or so. I use the middle version, since I have no use for all the bells and whistles of the full-featured version. The ability to track time, costs, and mileage; prepare invoices; receive payments; and write checks is well worth the price of the software. I'm also able to prepare payroll, process those pesky quarterly reports, and perform other tasks involved with running a business. No financial stake in the company, just a very satisfied user.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com