Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - OoO
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:17:41 -0500

> I think the question is, when you go away from the computer on which
> you receive your techwr-l mail or digest -- go away for a while,
> vacation, trip, etc. -- do you use an autoresponder to set an OOO
> message and, do you set the list to nomail, or what?

Right. And given the number of OOO messages I received around
Thanksgiving, it sounds like a good issue for us all to think about.
I've been online in various communities since the early 1990's, and
this is an issue that pops up year after year.

Thus my approach: one account for work, another for lists, and yet
another for personal correspondence (well, two others - one for
personal mail, and another for personal, non-work-related lists of
friends and family). All my non-work accounts are accessible via the
Internet (either from free web-based mail services like this Gmail one
or Yahoo, or via my home mail provider who has a nice web interface I
can access if needed), so going no-mail really makes little sense. All
these accounts offer me more than enough space, so I just let the mail
ride on in and get to it while I can. Given I'm an Internet junkie, I
rarely go a week without checking e-mail. ;-)

> And, I'm not sure those transient nomailers get logged anywhere, do
> you think so?

Oh, I htink so. I own and moderate many Yahoo Groups, and I can easily
see who's on nomail, who's on digest, and who's getting regular mail.

> Of course, an additional way of handling autoresponses that some
> companies use is to broadcast OOO messages internally only and stop
> them from being sent outside the company network.

You can also set these agents in some mail clients.

> And, I suspect the purpose of this poll is to RAISE AWARENESS as much
> as get a headcount.

That was my take on it... raise awareness...

> IMHO (yhomv), computer professionals should know to set nomail and not
> to spam professional email lists with OOO autoresponses.

Well, yeah, there's that too. ;-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com