RE: landing the first job

Subject: RE: landing the first job
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:14:40 -0500

,
> I'm new to this, so sorry if this has previously been talked about.
> I am a senior at Iowa State University majoring in rhetoric
> and professional communication with a minor in technical
> communication. It is now time for me to begin applying for
> jobs and I really don't know where to begin.

Close your eyes. What job would you just love to do for the next 40 years?
Write it down.
Begin with making a list of the five jobs you could enjoy doing -- make sure
that no job gets on tht list that you know you do not want to do. List them
from most desirable to least desirable. If you cannot make such a list right
now because you don't know enough about any jobs, do the research you need
to do. Nothing can substitute for your own research.

Go to the university library, get on the Internet, or do whatever you need
to do to learn about the jobs that you might want to do.

After you make a list, pick the one job from that list that best fits your
knowledge, your talents, and your desire. Then research that job in
significantly greater depth. Consult professional career resources at your
school, at the library, or on the Internet. The objective here is for you to
become as knowledgeable as possible about the job that you want to one day
hold. Your "goal" job.

If you continue to believe that there is one job that you really want to
pursue, try to get an internship in a company in which you can get a
hands-on feel for whether that job you want is the job you will do well at.
Find out about internship resources and try to get an internship as soon as
possible.

I started off
> looking into the techical writing area, but my main focus is
> writing, as my technical skills are not that great. I do have
> knowledge and skill in producing, designing and editing
> business documents, such as manuals, guides, brochures and
> newsletters, but it seems as if a technical writers job is
> much more than that.

You can develop your technical skills as you go, but you need at least
facility with using a computer and the most popular software programs.

I'm wondering if anyone can help direct
> me in an area to begin my career. Should I look at
> copyediting jobs, or should I continue my search in technical
> writing?

If copyediting is one of the five jobs on your list, and it ranks high, try
to get an internship. Ideally, you have five jobs that you've researched and
know something about -- enough to make a decision about which you want to
seriously pursue in terms of finding an internship.

> Or is there a different area that would suit me?

You need to do the research to find this out. After you do the research, you
have to make some decisions.

If you have never had career counseling, accompanied by testing, consider
getting that.

Let us know what you do, Lisa!

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com