Re: Journalism and Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Journalism and Tech Writing
From: "Larry Kunz" <Larry -dot- Kunz -at- veritas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:39:24 -0600

Others have done a good job listing the differences between journalism
and technical writing. But the differences are outnumbered by the
similarities. I think I know whereof I speak, having made the
transition from journalism to technical writing early in my career.

One big similarity, which only Bruce Byfield has touched on, is audience
analysis. Think of how a good journalist can take a highly specialized
subject -- like inside politics, or international treaty-making, or an
environmental issue -- and present all sides of the story in a way that
readers can understand AND see as relevant to their lives. At the same
time the journalist is employed by a publisher who, while not overtly
taking sides, wants to put a certain slant on things. (Think of, for
example, the N.Y. Times versus U.S. News & World Report.)

That's a whole lot like the technical writer who takes a highly
specialized subject and makes it understandable and relevant for the
audience -- often while working for a company or organization that wants
to put its own spin on things. (Yes, we know the product is unusable.
But try to present it in the best light.)

As others have mentioned, the "people" skills -- not just interviewing,
but cultivating relationships with sources -- are very closely aligned
as well.

I'll go so far as to say that if you're good at journalism, you'll
probably be good at technical writing as well, and vice versa.

Larry Kunz
VERITAS Software Corp.
Durham, NC, USA
919-405-3051 | lkunz -at- veritas -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com