Re: anyone else getting cashette invites in reply to posts?

Subject: Re: anyone else getting cashette invites in reply to posts?
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 07:16:34 -0800

Amen, brother!

As an aside, I've been on my new assignment for a little over two months now, and the first things that I noticed were employees downloading anything they wanted from wherever they wanted, and employees complaining about network 'slowness'. This was on top of employees receiving McAfee virus alert messages whenever they tried to send documents over the LAN.

The first thing that I did was to run McAfee, AdAware, and SpyBot on the computer that I had been given. I cannot tell you how much spyware, adware, viruses, and registry tweaks I found on that computer. It took me hours to completely clean it. This was before I decided to defragment the hard drive (I had never before seen a Microsoft message that read "Dear Lord, defrag what's left of this machine!")

Then I asked my tech lead and developer if I could look at their machines. Same thing.

We're talking about a global company working on a project for the federal government. Sheesh.

So, as an addendum to Tech Dood's suggestion, monitor your machine for adware, spyware, trojan horses, etc. It will save you and the people you deal with on a cyber level a lot of headaches.

- Jim

On Dec 4, 2004, at 10:00 PM, TechComm Dood wrote:

For the past few days I have been receiving an automated reply to my
list posts from kate -at- cashette -dot- com telling me I'm not on her approved
sender list and must sign up for cashette service to send her mail.

It's getting annoying, and I refuse to sign up for a beta service I
know nothing about just to avoid these annoying auto-replies.

Folks, before you go running out and try a new spam blocker, make sure
you learn how it works and how your list subscriptions work.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com