Re: Skills and Know-how

Subject: Re: Skills and Know-how
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:52:32 -0800

A.H. wrote:

Thanks for the many reponses to T.W. Background. For
the last question, Does the future of T.W. look
bright, some responded 'if you're good and have a
solid resume'.
What kinds of programs and knowledge are standard
for entry-level positions? I attend an engineering
school and study tech. comm. as a major., but I'm not
studying to be an engineer. Many of those who reponded
had engineering backgrounds. Am I at a disadvantage? I
can pick up new concepts and programs fairly quiclkly,
but there is a lot that I still don't know. Any
thoughts?

Leanr how to write well. Very well. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Get feedback from good teachers and editors. Then practice even more.

Knowledge of various engineering subjects and of tools can be learned (not all easily, of course), but good writing is a rare and underappreciated gift.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com