Re: Posted Pay Ranges & Government Jobs

Subject: Re: Posted Pay Ranges & Government Jobs
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:55:37 -0500

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 12/01/2004 05:56:38 PM:
> this is, after all, a government gig, where "that's the
> way we've always done it" is a pretty deeply entrenched rationale.

Not different from anywhere else that has a strong HR organisation that
operates under the half-truth of "the same rules apply to everyone". They
don't really and dozens of "special cases" and "exceptions" can usually be
found with little to no effort. Unless it's a union shop and there really
is no negotiation, but in that case you can ignore my last post and be
content in the knowledge that the scale is governed in a tight and
unwavering manner unlikely to reward performance of punish mediocrity, but
guaranteed to allow everyone to advance at the same rate.

> They alluded that the person I'd be replacing had worked
> her way into the upper portion of the scale, which was encouraging.

So if you're not above average right away, they should be able to say how
you'll be measured against her past performance and how quickly you will
be able to match (or exceed ) her pay.

> Also, I was one of six finalists chosen from the 160 who applied,
another
> encouraging sign (and another piece of artillery in my argument against
an
> "average" salary).

Heck, if those 160 applicants were the local competition that puts your
worth well into the high top end of current market prices. Unless they're
choosing you for your personality, charm, and drumming skills over you
technical knowledge or writing prowess. ;)

What you need now is a feel for the competition. If equally qualified, how
hungry are the other five? Can you judge if you're the first choice or are
they playing the field of all six? They can't really, as if they make an
offer and let you think about it, they can't rightly negotiate with anyone
else. But, their perception of who was most desperate will have figured
into their calculation of who would end up being best value for money.

Best of luck,

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com