Re: Usability study?

Subject: Re: Usability study?
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:56:58 -0800

Wright, Lynne wrote:

So what do you do in a situation where the document you are reviewing is totally sub-standard in every way.... unclear/confusing/grammatically incorrect writing, diagrams that don't make sense, document has no logical organizational structure, and its full of technical mistakes and contradictions?
This is the problem I've had with two "veteran" writers here... they resent/resist/ignore my editorial comments because they think their work is wonderful. My boss has put the onus on me to fix a sour relationship by providing a list of positives with my negatives, but try as i might... i can't find ANYTHING to complement them on!

Focus on the company goals: to provide the best possible product for your customers (the ones who pay money that allow you to get paid). Once ego gets involved (and writers are well known for egos), that focus can be lost.

Two suggestions:

1. Be objective. When you speak of an issue, back it up with reference material. That way, it's never about yoru opinion.

2. Prioritize your battles. Work on the most egregious issues at first, and demonstrate how resolving them can make the material better. Once shown, they may be less resistant.

And stand your ground. "Veteran" can have just a loose correllation with "good." I know lots of people will claim that you have to play the political game, and to some extent it's true, but as i grow older, I find that I have less and less patience with people who lack in competence; I don't suffer fools gladly. Life is too short to have to put up with less than the best.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com