RE: New Guy Question - MS Word

Subject: RE: New Guy Question - MS Word
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:38:21 -0000

Hi Kevin

> What I have done so far:
> 1. I have used Master/Subdoc to create a master with 28 subdocuments.

That is a mistake. To see why, take a look at the following articles.

Why Master Documents corrupt
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

> 2. Each document is 9 MB or smaller.
> 3. Only way to "move" file to user is via a Zip file.
>
> Problems I have encountered:
> 1. Expand feature is not looking at relative file names for subdocs.
> 2. Zip is not renaming links to subdocs to new folder (it did the first
> time I tried this when the doc was closer to 70 MB.)
> 3. Hidden Text is appearing although the document is being saved with
> Hidden Text option turned off.
>
> Questions:
> 1. How can I eliminate the above problems.

Don't use master documents. If you want to split a document and still have a
consolidated TOC & index and maybe also consecutive page numbering, and also
have links that continue to work when a document set is moved to a new
folder, use RD fields instead. Take a look at this article.

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=148

> 2. What better options are available (not likely to talk employer into
> change.)

Word is fine for the purpose provided you treat it nicely. That means
defining a template and using styles. These articles will help you

Creating a Template ? The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

Creating Custom Toolbars for Templates
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=262

> 3. What is the best way to use this list to find this or other answers in
> the future.

This list has archives which you can search. There are also communities
specifically for the purpose of exchanging knowledge about Word.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

You can also search the archives of the Word newsgroups by doing a search at
http://groups.google.com.

Also, the following website has lots of useful articles on Word
http://word.mvps.org

Regards
Jonathan West

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com