RE: user test for manual

Subject: RE: user test for manual
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:28:43 -0500

What? Seek out negativity? He he.

Thanks for your input Ned. I've found that you're correct, that employees, especially the "rank and file" won't necessarily volunteer their comments, and your point is well taken.

Actually current users aren't my audience, as they know the subject already, and so won't be a good testing ground. I'm trying to recruit some volunteers from other departments that are totally unfamiliar with the applications I'm documenting. Going across departments - what a concept.

Getting ready to prime some critical pumps,

Eileen

As opposed to managers/leads, end users won't volunteer their opinions, in
my experience, if they are accustomed to compensating for docs that don't
really nail their needs. Drag it out of them if you get the chance, by
prompting their recall. Ask them directly, while working through a 'for
instance' example:

"We've all had experiences with weak diocumentation, right?"

"How about this alpha index, do you usually find what you're
looking for in the index, or is it pretty worthless? For example, if
I am looking for procedures for <x>, I should be able to look up
<x> in the index, right? Do you find that works out most of the time?"

"Same question for the table of contents."

"Do you ever feel like there are too many words and not enough
diagrams?"

Similar questions about the accuracy and self-explanatory-ness of
captions and heading.

If you get my drift, and depending on the class of end-users you've got,
make sure it is OK for them to gripe, or to agree with you. Be interactive,
with active listening. Prime them, with examples, to talk about
documentation issues. Rub their noses in some examples that don't work, to
remind them of any time they felt they didn't like the manuals. If you
don't try to draw them out and connect with them, you might not know if
they're really lining up on the same goals that you have for the test. You
won't bias the test by doing this (you're in a position to evaluate what
they say), but you might not get any response if you don't prime them.

Also put a "feedback" page in the document, and invite end-users to submit
any comments, especially concerning problems or praise for the manual.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications

Notice: All email and instant messages (including attachments) sent to or from Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI) personnel may be retained, monitored and/or reviewed by FTI and its agents, or authorized law enforcement personnel, without further notice or consent.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com