Re: query re help

Subject: Re: query re help
From: peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:29:25 -0700

Dmbrown argues:
> That would be true *only* if you refused to look at any of the topics
> listed in the results of the query.
>
> One of the main values of an index or search engine is its ability to
> introduce the reader to unfamiliar terms. In indexing parlance, including
> these "synonyms" teaches the reader by equating a familiar concept (making
> the words line up straight) with an unfamiliar concept (justifying text).
>
> The reader looks for one, finds the other, and learns in the process the
> correct term for the concept in question. Using this specific example, our
> hypothetical user looks for how to line up the text, finds a topic on
> justifying text, realizes it's exactly what he needs, and thinks, "Oh,
> *that's* what they call it."
<snip>

And that was my point: First, I would not look down 12 items to find my
answer. Ever.

Second, if, for some reason, I did try 'justify text' (not knowing what
that meant), it would only be because I tried the first 11 and they did
not help me. I would never spend the time on finding the answer that way.

Finally, after two tries at terms I typed, "word, text at left side of
page" into Google and the second item down uses 'justified' in a way that
would tip me off.

Then again, maybe I am not a 'normal' help user.

Pam

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com