Re: The state of State

Subject: Re: The state of State
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:51:50 -0600

Unfortunately, my own writing style changed very much for the worse
during college and grad school...and now, many years later, I still
struggle for the writing discipline I had when I finished high school.

Of course, in high school I had two years of work under a true master
teacher, who required everyone in his classes to write something every
day. Then, the seniors graded the juniors' papers and vice
versa...with him scrutinizing those who were either very highly marked
or very lowly marked.

Further, we had an extensive collection of editing marks he had
developed for the most common mistakes of form. When a paper had three
of these mistakes marked, it was simply not marked for content at all.
At the end of each term, a small number of the lowest marks were
discarded.

Even to this day, my single greatest feeling of achievement in writing
was the day Dr. Steiner chose *my* composition to read to the class as
a "nearly perfect expository writing."

Several years after I graduated, the great experiment in eliminating
sequencing of students by ability began. The best teachers were driven
from teaching, and I do not believe the schools there have ever truly
recovered.

If you really want to have your writing style killed, though, go to
law school! It has taken me years to recover from that experience...

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com