RE: query re help

Subject: RE: query re help
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:21:46 -0700

It's not just computer help. We recently upgraded our audio/visual
system at home; large screen TV, receiver/amp, TiVO, and DVD
recorder/player unit. Some units have on line help which is less helpful
than the manuals that came with the units. The only good things I can
say about the docs were the illustrations used to show how to connect
all the wires. The manuals for operation are practically worthless, they
really don't tell you anything, no explanations, glossary, and some lack

Granted, we don't want to read a 3" thick book about the DVR unit, but a
glossary would have been nice...

Now, we're in our 50s and experienced computer/software users. It seems
that the style guides for the manuals restrict the writers to one page
per subject. Too bad if the topic needs further explanation!

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

O: 480.354.0537
M: 480.226.4409

Documentation, Training, FrameMaker Consulting

-

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com