RE: Software design and end-user documentation

Subject: RE: Software design and end-user documentation
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:43:09 -0500

Hi Anthony,

I don't know what the answer is, but as far as I know, this problem is very very common. My experience in the financial industry has been that there is very little thought brought to bear on the user interface. Seems to be because the folks that hold the purse strings don't know there is such a thing as user interface design or usability. Any problems users have using the applications are laid at the door of the users or the supporting documents / training. To me, it's mind boggling how something like user design, which has such an impact on employee productivity / errors / experience (I document internal applications), can be disregarded the way it seems to be. And in my case also, I don't get to make changes to the application...

Sorry, but documents can't fix a bad design. At best, they can help users limp through it. Hopefully, they're captive users, as are the employees here. They learn it anyway in the end...

Well, this is a rant. Maybe someone out there has a great idea on a solution. And congrats on doing the usability testing on your docs. Great step in the right direction!

Eileen Neumann
Franklin Templeton Investments