Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?

Subject: Re: Writing tests for Peoplesoft contract position?
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:20:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>

> Nobody has offered a different interpretation yet, as far as I can see.
> I will grant you, though, that deciding where the line falls between
> ethical and unethical behavior is a personal matter. I don't expect
> everyone else to agree with me about this particular instance. In fact,

I'm not especially eager to delve into the dark thoughts I harbor about the
rat race and the bottom line, but as one who wears out shoes on the
interview circuit, I agree 100% with you, Dick. I can't find any
satisfaction in cheating to get ahead. By the same token, I don't expect to
be underrated because other competitors slithered ahead by cheating.

I am staunch about this, in the way I conduct myself, but I remember school
and most jobs as the proving grounds for liars and cheaters. I don't think
it does any good to complain it--at 50 years old, I'm pretty sure I get the
picture: I'll estimate that 80% of successful people lie and cheat to get
there. There's a million ways to gloss over it. Dishonesty becomes
resourcefulness in a dog-eat-dog world. As a candidate you stand out ("got a
fire in the belly") if you want it bad enough to do anything to get it.

Read the Wall Street Journal for a while to see how true what I'm saying
really is: the big money piles up when you lie to investors, gouge the
savings and loans, cheat retiress out of their pensions, cook the books on
taxes, incorporate offshore, litigate endlessly to drag the system to its
knees and choke it on the backlog, ...

But yeah, it is a disgusting, contemptible system of rewards when you have
an honest outlook. BTW, there is some movement in the world against all this
crummy stuff. The doctors I've seen in the past five or so years are doing
pretty radical things to get doctoring out from the auspices of business and
back to more people-centric practices. Has anyone else noticed that doctors
are dropping out, quitting practice? Boy, to hear them tell it, the
businessification of doctoring has taken all the satisfaction out of it.
They're scrambling to salvage what's left of their profession. I've had
several docs who are not taking insurance for payment, and I know several
more who are abandoning the clinics and HMOs that they've been working for.
Sign of the times?

Fore thwe average guy, life in a monastary is probably the only way out of
it. But I have the feeling that you don't agree that turning your back on it
is the prudent thing to do.

==Ned

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com