Re: question concerning OpenOffice.org files

Subject: Re: question concerning OpenOffice.org files
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:54:24 +0000

James Jones wrote:

Just wondering. Does anyone on this list know (Bruce Byfield and others
probably know) about the compatibility of files produced by oo? How do
these files go with Framemaker files and Word docs? Thanks.

Did I hear my name?

You can produce .doc and .rtf from OOo files, and the results are sometimes surprisingly successful. However, as much as I like OOo, relying on import/export filters is never a good idea. Perfect filters simply don't exist. They take a lot of effort to make, and using them means laboriously tweaking the results. And when you have to make the filter by reverse engineering, because the format is proprietary, the problems become even greater.

Jean Hollis Weber and I, along with several other people, have talked about producing a template that gives the best transitions between OOo and MS Word, but we're all busy, so not much has been done except talking.

No filters for FrameMaker exist, I'm afraid.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Who will remember, the hands so white and fine,
That touched the finest linen, that poured the finest wine?
Who will remember, the genteel words they spoke
To name the lives of two good men a nuisance or a joke?
- Charlie King, "Two Good Arms"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com