RE: Usability abuse? (Take II)

Subject: RE: Usability abuse? (Take II)
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:09:34 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Riiiight...What is the difference between these two statements:
>
> A: "I think this is designed poorly, its hard to use."
>
> B: "75% of our beta users said they didn't like this
> feature, it was hard to use."
>
> "A" is a SUBJECTIVE judgement of something based on a single
> individual's experience. In other words, griping.
>
> "B" is a OBJECTIVE judgement based on the gripes of many
> people or a market segment. In other words, usability analysis.
>
> When a writer starts griping about the product, they can
> either be an A or B.

A and B are not the only options that a writer has when describing a usability problem.

The writer can also use C:

C. The marks on this dipstick are hard to see in good light, let alone bad.

Or
C. Using this feature, under these circumstances, requires that the user hold down five keyboard keys at the same time.

Or
C. This feature is hard to use because the message with the needed information does not have focus when the user needs to respond to it.

Or
C. This graphical user interface will be unreadable to a colorblind user. (A good proportion of my company's user base is colorblind.)

Such "C" choices are statements about usability problems. They incorporate concrete descriptions of problems encountered in using the product, not just whining about likes and dislikes.

Must they be acted upon?

That's a decision for the team. Not the writer. The team brings to bear "intelligence guided by experience".

Jim Shaeffer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com