Learner needs help in FM

Subject: Learner needs help in FM
From: punit shrivastava <punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:26:01 +0530

Hi Friends,
I have a big problem (might be no problem at all for the profesionals
here!!). I shifted from newspaper to technical writing. Thus I
suffered from the handicap of not being technically skilled.
Fortunately (or unfortunately!!) I started working with the s/w group
providing IT related outsourcin services.
Now, that meant although I have created manuals, online help besides
white papers, brochures etc (bit of documentation too) I still find
myself literate in MS-Word only (average in that). For online help I
found way to learn and work with RoboHELP.
Yet now when I'm trying to learn FrameMaker (7.0) I can neither find
its online help guiding enough for totally illiterate like me to start
with, nor do I know how to proceed in BOOKS, STRUCTURED DOCUMENTS etc.
I can type n copy text, insert images. Few querries!!
1. How do we proceed in learning FM? Where to look for proper help?
2. Inserted images at times appear only as gif file. Where am I
committing mistakes?
3. How does the final FM document appear like? (as it does in word)
Does that imply the person who will see the file must have FM)

Note: Can someone here please be my guide on FM learning?

Thanks
Punit S

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com