Re: DFD BFD

Subject: Re: DFD BFD
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:18:37 -0500

> As I have posted several times: The major thing that a
> TW is to do is come up with a detailed, comprehensive
> understanding of the essential end-user tasks, and how
> all those tasks interrelate - with special emphasis
> placed on understanding the interrelationships.

No, it's not. Tony, not every tech writer documents end-user stuff.
Not every tech writer documents process. You gotta consider other
aspects of our profession before going ape on one area. ;-)

> From the Gospel according to Ed Yourdon: "ONLY by
> following the flow of data [in task analysis] can we
> come up with an understanding [and therefore be able
> to explain to others] the underlying logic of a
> system".

This is a very unhealthy comment. It suggests blind devotion to an ideal.

> If we don't put enough energy on process, you will not
> produce good documents. Come on Andrew, you know it:
> Almost always, the main problem is that not enough
> effort has been placed on process. Thats the major
> reason why so much documentation is so disjointed and
> disorganized.

Process is but a small area, Tony. I can tell you do not see this, but
you're hurting only yourself if you don't consider the possibility
that there is more to technical writing than documenting process.

> I never said that the other things you mention do not
> need to be documented. Just that task anlaysis should
> always be done first, and that the other stuff is of
> secondary importance.

Secondary importance? How so?

> Data Flow Diagrams are a techical communications tool.

Right. "A" tool. Not "The" tool.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com