Re: Moving from IBM to Mac

Subject: Re: Moving from IBM to Mac
From: Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:30:06 -0800

On Friday, November 12, 2004, at 09:16 AM, cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us wrote:

I'm on a Mac and have used Unix and Windows over the years. I much prefer
the Mac for its reliability and overall quality, so I think you'll be
happier. The downside is that Adobe no longer makes FrameMaker for the
Mac, so I'm not sure how you'll be able to keep on using it. I've got FM 6
legacy software running in Classic mode in OS X and it run flawlessly, but
I don't know where or if you can buy it.

Her company isn't running the Mac OS, it's running Unix ON a Mac. Big difference.

However, your point about Adobe not supporting the Mac is well taken, in that my personal conviction is that Adobe will soon be abandoning FrameMaker for ALL platforms. They have too much invested in InDesign to keep supporting a rival.

Another thought is that storing all your legacy files in one (proprietary) format is a Bad Idea. I would recommend converting the most important to .rtf files.
Time is a great healer and a lousy beautician.

Sarah Stegall munchkyn at munchkyn dot com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com