Re: Usability Assessment: A Common Sense Activity

Subject: Re: Usability Assessment: A Common Sense Activity
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:07:13 -0800

I think it would be more accurate to say that anyone who uses a
product is an expert on how he/she uses that product. But to say
that that person is an expert on how that product should be used
or can best be used is another matter entirely. If you've ever
had the experience of working out some absurdly elaborate
method of doing something, then having someone else come
along and say "all you need to do is this..." then you know what
I mean. :)

As far as the idea of technical writers being usability experts by
default, I'm generically troubled by the idea that anyone is by
default an expert on anything...

Gene Kim-Eng