RE: ADMIN: New Poll Question

Subject: RE: ADMIN: New Poll Question
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:58:20 -0500

> Hey everyone!
>
> A couple of weeks ago, the weekly poll question asked where you read
> that I ask you
> all *when* you read TECHWR-L messages. So...
>

> When do you read TECHWR-L messages?

Haven't you heard? A writer is working even when
s/he is staring into space.

> * During work hours (not making up the time)

Mostly. See below.

> * During work hours (making up time/flex hours)

Like hell... see below.

> * On breaks

When I explicitly take a break, it's for the purpose of
getting my face away from a CRT for a while (we can't
afford those flat-panel LCDs). So I go walkies, or I go
and pester some cow-orker who signifies willingness by
... oh... say.... making eye contact. :-)
Mostly I don't take breaks. Breaks happen or not. Since
I'm not a smoker or a coffee drinker, I take fewer explicit
breaks than most cow-orkers. On the other hand, I take
half an hour every second Tuesday to go get my allergy
shots. My doctor actually has up-to-date magazines in
the waiting room. Woohoo!
Breaks are not for keeping face at screen, to read
mailing lists.

> * At lunch

Lunch is time for eating and reading the paper. If I'm
busy, I forgo the paper and just eat while working. I
usually take about half an hour if I'm actually breaking
for lunch. Sometimes I'll go for a long walk, with or
without company. Sometimes when schedule is at its
very tightest, I'll go for a long walk anyway, just
because it lets my brain unwind and thereafter perform
better, but then I'm not likely to read any mailing lists
on such days. If I'm really on a roll with work, sometimes
I don't come up for air for hours at a stretch. Other times,
I keep flipping back and forth between work and mailing list,
because I'm just not on that roll.

> * At home

If I haven't read this list during the day, then maybe
at night, if there's nothing good on tube, and nothing
interesting in my Linux lists or in the un-PC coypeditors'
list.

> * At the library

I was in a library a few years ago, to get out of the rain. . .

> * When I want (I work for myself)

Hmm. Market myself for a few weeks/months every six to ten
years versus take the time and effort to market myself
every few months to line up the next contract? Only if I
have to, and haven't had to, yet (touch wood <thunking forehead...>)

> * Other/None of the above

My employer knows that I read this list, plus CE-L,
plus the HATT list, plus a couple of FrameMaker lists,
plus...

In fact, they gave me this silly sounding mailbox (M-list)
for just this purpose, separate from my real-name mailbox,
that is used for all other business correspondence.

Somebody else responded that they were an adult and that
they were paid to do a job, as opposed to being paid to be
seen to perform certain actions at certain times. So, like
that other person and many of you, I pull some long hours
occasionally when through my fault or somebody else's, it's
necessary, to deliver good docs when promised. I don't get
paid overtime. Well, I could if I applied, but I just
keep the rough tally in my head and occasionally match it
with the tally in my manager's head, and all is well.

Kevin (keepin' an eye on you lot - now get back to work!)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com