RE: Why Creating DFDs Is Very Dangerous

Subject: RE: Why Creating DFDs Is Very Dangerous
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:45:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> asks:

What is the input used to create a DFD and how does
it differ from that of other task-analysis methods?
In other words, from what source does one create a
DFD if not "...we first draw boxes, or ovals, or stick
men, or whatever to represent whatever tasks
(functions) that happen to pop into our mind at the
moment. And then we try to connect them together."?

Tony Markos responds:

Bonnie, your a little unclear, but I will answer what
I think you are asking.

The first flows of data that we draw on a DFD
originate from tasks (functions) outside of the
boundary of the system (i.e., outside of the scope of
our analysis). These outside-of-the-scope tasks are
called sinks.

As these flows then enter the system (manual system,
automated system, or combo thereof), we follow them as
they naturally split and combine together to identify
manual or automated tasks. Yourdon refers to this
process as "interviewing the data".

Bonnie, as I explained in my previous post, there is a
world of difference in the quality of analysis in
"interviewing the data" vs that of a
"connect-the-boxes"!

Tony Markos

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail