RE: re Interviews & red flags & MENSA

Subject: RE: re Interviews & red flags & MENSA
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:57:48 -0700

I agree though that IQ is often confused with wisdom... I've met a lot
of people with an average IQ who were much wiser than some of the
brainies I met.

I really didn't mean to post again on this subject, but here I am :).

Intelligence can mean many different things; what an IQ test measures is only one of them.

I have a brother who is a master mechanic. He can diagnose a car problem correctly over the phone; if he sees a car on the side of a freeway, he knows what is probably wrong with it by the year and model. He once recogized our mother's car by seeing the headlights at night on a busy road.

A dancer knows where every part of her body is at any moment. A baseball player will know where the ball will come over the plate by the way it leaves the pitcher's hand. A football player will pass a ball, knowing where the receiver is going to be when the ball comes down. With my high IQ, I am more likely to hit a wall instead of the door when getting out of bed in the morning.

I have an aunt with an extremely high IQ. The lowest grade she ever got in school was an A-; she was the top student in her nursing class, and was the head RN on her hospital floor within six months of graduation. She married too young, had several children, and now earns her living by making and selling crocheted finger puppets. (If you have ever seen a crocheted finger puppet at at craft show in America, it probably was made by her -- she sells over 10,000 a year!). She isn't successful in a monetary way, but is happy with her life.

My mother, on the other hand, is more of a normal intelligence. Yet, she has also been successful in her endeavors, and at the age of 77 is still going strong and having a good time with her life.

No, IQ is not a guarantee of happiness or success. Happiness comes from within; success comes from working your tail off and getting a lot of lucky breaks.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer/Requirements Analyst

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com