Example of a good DFD

Subject: Example of a good DFD
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

Martha J Davidson wrote:

An example [of a DFD] would help. Maybe you could
take something simple and create a DFD and a flow
chart of the same process so we can see how they
differ?

Tony Markos responds:

Ya know, several people have asked me for an example
of a DFD. I originally thought, "Whats the big deal,
you just go to Yahoo, type in 'data flow diagram' and
presto." My mistake; when you do that, many of the
given links take you to junky sites that either don't
show a DFD, or show a bad - sometimes really bad -
example of one. But to see a very good example of a
DFD - one very simular to the ones I create, go to
http://www.umsl.edu/~sauter/analysis/dfd/dfd.htm

The second example, the Level 0 Diagram, in particular
is right on. (Note: I don't use any colors.)

Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com> wrote:

At 05:04 PM 10/28/2004 -0700, Tony Markos wrote:
Arrggg... to a DFDer, hearing a DFD referred to as a
flow chart drives a steak through our heart.

Please tell us the differences, from your point of
view, so that we can learn, not just listen to your
dismay.

Tony Markos responds:

As I recently posted: A DFD is an analysis tool that
shows flow of data. A Flow Chart is a design tool that
shows flow of control.

Notice, in the on-line the example I specify, that
each interface line is labled with the data packet
that travels along it. In (If-Then-Go-To) Flow Charts
(I assume familiarity with these computer program
design devices), data packets do not travel along the
interface lines. The lines are just used to point
towards the next step in processing.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com