RE: The End Of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: The End Of Technical Writing
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:58:04 -0400

Bonnie said it perfectly Tony.

"Bonnie Granat" wrote on 10/27/2004 04:23:55 PM:
> That's what "technical writers" *do* ....

> They're usually unique to the specific project.

> What "old way"? Unless you analyze the tasks, how can you
> teach anyone how to perform them?

Ball is back in your court. Care to add to the discussion that you so
desperately want?

Got to say that it usually takes me very little time or analysis to tell
exactly what the user will need to do. That's part of knowing the
technology your documenting. I spend far more time researching HOW the
various tasks are done and learning the inner workings as they pertain to
the various users and tasks (operations, maintenance, overhaul). Then,
even more time is spent correlating data and finding and cross checking
sources, followed by organising the information in its final form.

So what amazingly interesting facets of task analysis do you want to
discuss?

Which users and tasks can we discuss that aren't boringly project or
industry specific?

What on Earth can the simple identification of your users and their basic
functions and responsibilities provide in the way of satisfaction or
accomplishment? Identifying all tasks and their interrelation is what good
techwriters do. It isn't a distinct phase or step. It's what is done
throughout a project.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com