Re: inline spacing on graphics - Word

Subject: Re: inline spacing on graphics - Word
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:33:52 -0400

Sean Hower wrote:

Okay, I've been buried in HTML for so long I can't seem to remember how to accomplish something that should be pretty easy in Word. We've got inline graphics. When we insert the graphic, the bottom edge of the graphic is on the baseline of the line of text. Not a problem with a small image, but larger images end up with a lot of whitespace between the lines. In HTML, you can just Vertical align to fix this, but how do you do that in Word. We've looked at the Picture formatting and nothing there seems to be working the way we want it to.

What we have:

|---|
| |
This |___| image.

What we want:

|---|
This | | image.
|___|

Any thoughts on getting the image to be aligned the way we want, or placing the image in a different way?

Yes, I have thoughts. Most of them would get me suspended from the list.

This technique is cute in read-along books for three-year-olds. But even in those, the trend has been away from blowing out the leading to accommodate the inlines, instead wrapping the text and maintaining the leading.

So, to answer your question, I think you can do this by selecting the graphic and using Format > Font > Character Spacing > Position > Lowered ... By [whatever amount works]. Trial and error will give you the right amount. I haven't actually tried this with an inline graphic, because I think it is a terrible idea; but it's the technique I'd try if I were forced to do this.

Far better would be to move the graphic to the margin or mortise it into the edge of the text column and rephrase the text to point to it rather than require its immediate expression.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com