Re: Display installer panels in doc?

Subject: Re: Display installer panels in doc?
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:48:01 -0400

> If it's a good bet that the user is reading the install guide while looking
> at the screen (not offline), the screen shots are redundant and take up way
> too much room.

Readers tend to scan documents, slowing down only when they get to
material that is pertinent. Particularly when doing an install, they
have some visual cues that tell them where they are (usually, the
billboards--I think that's what they're called in InstallShield--are
different for each individual screen. Providing the screen shots
doesn't make the document any slower to read, and actually makes
parsing easier: they can keep scanning until they see the image that
corresponds to where they're having the problem. That would be a much
faster way to find it than having to look for a heading that
(hopefully) matched the title of the individual installation screen.
Not only faster, but easier, too.

-David Castro
thejavaguy[at]gmail[dot]com
email[at]davidcastro[dot]com