Re: a different resume red flag

Subject: Re: a different resume red flag
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:18:36 -0400

Stephen Arrants wrote:

Dick Margulis writes:

Once more, NOBODY EVER SAID THAT! Not in techwr-l, anyway. Not ever. Not one single time. I dare you to show me where I or anyone else claimed that tool usage or tool knowledge was even a little bit more important than getting the facts and getting them right.

No, no one ever said it straight out. But I've see it implied a lot,
especially when talking about hiring decisions. Or when reading over job
listings for technical writers. Most of the time, "Must know Word and
RoboHelp" is the first of the many requirements.

Yes. One of many requirements. A necessity. Not a sufficiency. You did actually take a course in logic at some point, I would venture to guess.

Uh, Dick... A software program is just a series of steps and procedures
to follow. Anyone who can write can be taught how to "properly" use Word
or Frame or The Sims. It is harder to teach someone creative
problem-solving than it is to teach them Word's keyboard shortcuts. To
say otherwise is...oh, I don't know....nonsense?

You did a nice job of quoting me out of context; but we've seen a lot of that in this political season ;-)

However, teaching anyone something they obstinately refuse to learn is harder than teaching them something they have a strong desire to learn.

Steve, this has been fun; but I was just confronted with a veterinary emergency I have to deal with on my way out of town. So if you want to continue this on Monday, that's fine; but I'm over and out for now.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com