Re: Sentence structure?

Subject: Re: Sentence structure?
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:51:22 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if these are the terms you are
looking for: infinitives and gerunds; and
prepositional phrases.

To and toward are prepositions

> 1. "Analysis is the key to ensure that you are
> focusing your company's
> investment on the most important concern."

The 'to' here is actually 'in order to'; thus
written, it becomes really awkward. It is used as
if it were an infinitive 'to ensure'.

Or, if you write it as: To ensure ..., anyalysis
the key.

To, however, is a preposition here, and To
ensuring... is a prep phrase - more appropriate;
but playing it by the ear, it is a toss up
between ensure and ensuring in this example.

> 2. "Identifying the presence, type, and level
> of risk currently
> existing in the workplace is an essential step
> to reduce risks in the
> workplace."

Here, toward is called for because of the 'step'
and it is unmistakably a preposition, and it has
to be a followed by a noun (gerund - the ing
form).

Does that make sense? That's grammar as I learned
quite some while ago.

=====
Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala