Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:24:24 -0700

In a sense, offshoring is not telecommuting. In *every aspect*, it is. I remember maybe 6 or 7 years ago when people used to talk about setting up satelite offices that would be telecommute centers - as a compromise to lure management into accepting telecommutes. This was California, where I used to spend 3 hours a day commuting. (Don't get me started on how the tech industry offloaded the vast majority of materials transport to the tax-payer, given that the "material" is people, and roads & gasoline are highly subsidized - as is the internet. Without this transport subsidy, the tech boom may have never happened. Note that other industries have to pay to transport their materials and commodities - yes, tech workers are becoming commodities.)

I digress... Actually, I'm guilty of offshoring - I live outside of the US, and I can afford to charge less than my peers in the US. OTOH, I *have* to charge less to account for the perceived difficulties of telecommuting. Still, I can't compete with $6,000.00 a year.
As to the original question, I believe you will have to work as a contractor. And it is *very* hard to land a contract cold. Either you get work through networks that you originally established before we went online, or you stand out enough in the field that customers come to you. That's my experience. So the advice is the same for telecommuting as it is for contracting in general... Network, network, network.

can anyone recommend a good source of technical
> writing jobs for people who wish to telecommute,
> either working from home or working for a large
> percentage of the time from home?

I don't think you're going to find too many corporations looking to
hire staff to work from home these days. However, you may be able

In a sense, isn't off-shoring a form of telecommuting?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com