Re: Imbedding PDF files in application

Subject: Re: Imbedding PDF files in application
From: William Gaffga <wilg -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:18:03 -0700

For a specialty product we have a similar thing ... select Help and the PDF opens. We include the PDF in the installer. The app looks in a particular location for the PDF. Quite simple.

You could simply include the PDF in the same folder as your app, but we like to put the PDF in a location that a user can access (XP permissions keeping a non-power user out of the Program Files folder) so that the file can easily be replaced if needed.

HTH.

Will.

On Oct 18, 2004, at 3:09 PM, Ronald Sering wrote:

Hi all,

I'm providing a PDF file of a user guide for an
application. My first thought was to provide a link to
it from the application Help menu.

The question is: what are the technical steps I need
to do to bundle the PDF in with the application? Is it
a matter of just including it on the CD and then
coding a link to it?

Best wishes,

Ron Sering

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com