RE: Tech Comm Survey

Subject: RE: Tech Comm Survey
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:05:59 +0200 (CEST)

I'll chime in, just for the record. Don't know if I even qualify fot filling out this survey,
being a newcomer and working in Germany.

> 1. How long have you been a technical communicator?

About 1 year, just finished my studies in Technical Writing.
Plus working as a student in related fields (layout, PR, translation) for about 3 years.

> 2. Have you noticed changes in software programs that you use? Explain
> briefly.

It's still MS Office for a lot of things. But for any layout-heavy work I started working with
Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat 6) this year, a real time and live
saver.
For the record: Frame is out for me, we could only afford one software package and considering the
state of affairs for Frame and the heap of layout-centric stuff I'm doing, I voted for Creative
Suite instead of Frame.

> 3. Have you noticed a change in salary? Explain briefly.

Yes. I'm really earning money now. (About 30k Euros per year at a tax rate of over 40%. And 30
days vacation per year.)

> 4. Do the tasks that you complete now vary from what you did when you began
> working in this field? Explain briefly.

Even over the period of a year: Yes. I began doing updates for existing documentation and am now
mostly doing new stuff. And I'm look into XML and Single-Source for changing the whole
documentation process over the next year.

> 5. How many times have you changed jobs or relocated?

Never as a TechWriter. About a half a dozen times as a student.

Hope this helps,

Jens

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com