RE: Tech Comm Survey

Subject: RE: Tech Comm Survey
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- aps -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:44:19 -0700

1. How long have you been a technical communicator?

20 Years

2. Have you noticed changes in software programs that you use? Explain
briefly.

Started out on IBM PC using Samna Word Processor. Didn't even have a
TOC generator!
Then we got more sophisticated with better word processors and DTP
software. Also did some mainframe help which was text-based.
Later used Frame and RoboHelp.
Mostly use Word, Visio, Excel now for templates and document for
internal IS processes.

3. Have you noticed a change in salary? Explain briefly.

Mostly my salary has gone up until the last year. One time I did take a
job at a lower billing rate for the opportunity to use RoboHelp when it
was new. Last year I took a dive in pay due to the economy but now I am
starting a new job as a Business Analyst which is paying over my highest
rate as a Tech Writer.

4. Do the tasks that you complete now vary from what you did when you
began
working in this field? Explain briefly.

Yes, I used to write more software manuals. Now I write more internal
documents such as process documentation and training. I do more
coordination and project management tasks. I used to spend more time
writing, now I spend about half my time writing.

5. How many times have you changed jobs or relocated?

I have stayed in Arizona the whole time; however, I have mostly
contracted so by an informal count I have worked at about 15 different
gigs. My average stay is a year, however, this last gig lasted 4 years
or so and looked like it could go on quite some time but I left for
higher pay.

"MMS <apsc.com>" made the following annotations.
--- NOTICE ---
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original and any copy or printout. Unintended recipients are prohibited from making any other use of this e-mail. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, we accept no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments, or for any delay or errors or omissions in the contents which result from e-mail transmission.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com