Re: Code Comments, Code Reviews and Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Code Comments, Code Reviews and Tech Writers
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:55:19 -0600

> Check the archives for last week's discussion of "Code comments as
> Documentation".
>
> Being involved in code reviews is good, but you need to swim further
> upstream and get at least read access to the source control
> system---read-write access is far preferable.=20

Thanks, Janet, for the link & tip. As the author/initiator (instantiator?)
of the thread, I thought I'd report on the decision on how I've been told
to proceed: I'll take the code comments, use them to write software design
description sections (along with the software dev team lead), and there
we'll end--no recursion to the code for cleaner comments so we avoid
stepping on developers' egos (really...I'm not makin' this stuff up!).

So it goes, as the Vonnegut saith.

I'd be interested offline in a copy of your tips as edited....

joe

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com