Re: Replacing FrameMaker with OpenOffice.org

Subject: Re: Replacing FrameMaker with OpenOffice.org
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:15:09 -0700

Quoting Ian Hawkins <ihawkins -at- sundorne -dot- com>:

> Would you be able to comment on keyboard shortcuts, especially when
> applying styles? With FrameMaker, once you know the right buttons to
> press, applying styles is fast and mouse-free. When I played with OOo, I
> could not find an equivalent method. The Stylist does not seem to lend
> itself to efficient keyboard navigation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OOo doesn't install with the keyboard shortcuts ready to go. However, you can
record macros and assign the macros to keyboard shortcuts.

> And do you have any opinions on OOo vs. Stuctured FM?

OOo has an option to Simplified DocBook. You can also create your own
import/export filters to different markup languages, or download and install
filters made by someone else. In all these cases, you're just using the regular
window as you edit. Since the native OOo file format is a series of XML files
zipped together, the filters do a pretty reliable job.

Personally, I've always felt Structured FM is a big disappointment. The way it
was grafted on to regular FM is inelegant, and its interface is needlessly arcane.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com