RE: I need a user-friendly term

Subject: RE: I need a user-friendly term
From: "Walden Miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 00:48:44 -0600

Let's not get hasty about renaming very specific terms:)

Flash memory is a type of EEPROM that can be block programmed (i.e., written
to or erased). Digital set-tops use it, Digital Cameras use it, etc. Flash
is Non-Volatile because you turn off the power and the memory contents
remain.

Not all Non-Volatile Memory is Flash. Some NVRAM (most EEPROMS) can only be
programmed one byte at a time.

SSD's include EEPROMS but also a host of other pieces, such as their own
CPU, battery, memory bus, etc.

Back to the original question: It there a generic term to describe the wide
varieties of NVRAM (SSD, EEPROM's, Flash). I would say NVRAM generically. I
don't know of anything else.

If your audience consists of engineers, then use terms like NVRAM, DRAM,
Flash, SRAM, EEPROM, and SSD (that's user friendly to engineers). If your
audience is the general public, they probably only care that the programming
on their VCR/CableBox/PC doesn't go away when you unplug the cord. You
don't even need to use technical terms, just describe the functionality.

My .02
walden