tooltips for web-based apps?

Subject: tooltips for web-based apps?
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:53:27 -0400

My client has a web-based application with customized versions for their many customers. I would like to create tooltips for all of the fields and buttons on the UI, but I am told that this is a huge undertaking and a nightmare to maintain, particularly because of the customizations. For example, a field in a Canadian version of the app might be SIN, with the tooltip as "Enter your social insurance number without spaces," while in the US version the field would be SSN, with the tooltip as "Enter your social security number."
I don't see this as such a big deal. I imagine it as one big file that uses bookmarks that the app would hook to, and customization tags that would rip out all but the correct tooltip. While I am certain it would take a bit of effort to set up, once it was done, what would be the big deal?
What is your experience? How have you handled similar situations?
Please reply to me directly as I am on Digest.
Thanks
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3